Definition of reprisal:
redress, damages, restitution, counterattack, attack, an eye for an eye, payback, a tooth for a tooth, forgiveness, indemnity, indemnification, remuneration, measure for measure, recoupment, requital, counterattack, like for like, tit for tat, quittance, recompense, satisfaction, paying back.
- punishment (part of speech: noun)
- revenge (part of speech: verb)
- retaliation (part of speech: noun)
- "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- "The Dop Doctor", Clotilde Inez Mary Graves.
One was the conviction that war upon the sea meant operations against the enemy's armed fleets in order to destroy his power of naval resistance as distinguished from operations by way of reprisal against his trade; and the other, that such warfare required for its effective use a fleet of State- owned ships specialised for war, with as little assistance as possible from private- owned ships.- "Some Principles of Maritime Strategy", Julian Stafford Corbett.