Definition of require :
1. To ask as a favor; to request.
2. To demand or exact as indispensable; to need.
3. To demand; to insist upon having; to claim as by right and authority; to exact; as, to require the surrender of property.
fill, consume, contract, necessary, contain, submit, beg, anticipate, subscribe to, convey, suppose, control, overtop, drive, take aim, ask, contend, call for, deal, affect, pack, exact, collect, bear, have a bun in the oven, obligation, pick up, over, select, dictate, entreat, inquire, gather up, challenge, take on, command, pick out, take in, accept, have, look, lead, entail, choose, withdraw, adopt, owned, engage, quest, take, carry, petition, overlook, get hold of, read, regard, gestate, conduct, make, direct, bring, hold, ingest, bespeak, take away, guide, claim, await, implore, wait, use up, film, requisition, subscribe, expect, look for, involve, strike, pray, dominate, postulate, supplicate, charter, invite, assume, beseech, get, request, desire, train, admit, posit, rent, lease, consider, insist on, take up, enquire, remove, shoot, imply, look at, order, study, acquire, learn, crave, hire, aim, occupy, solicit
lack (part of speech: verb)
require (part of speech: verb)
oblige (part of speech: verb)
- I require no seconds. - "Petticoat Rule", Emmuska Orczy, Baroness Orczy.
- In fact, there is scarcely a word to require consolation in her letter, and what did not please me least- nay, to do myself justice, what put all the rest out of my head for some minutes with joy- is the account she gives of herself. - "The Letters of Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1 of 2)", Frederic G. Kenyon.
- He said nothing of the obvious fact that it would require his whole time, but Roger thought of that at once, and by the expression on Deborah's face he saw she was thinking, too. - "His Family", Ernest Poole.