Definition of research :
1. Diligent inquiry or examination in seeking facts or principles; laborious or continued search after truth; as, researches of human wisdom.
2. To search or examine with continued care; to seek diligently.
fact-finding, search, enquiry, involved in research, interrogation, explore, scientific, investigative, seek, question, study, examine, inquiry, inquisition, look for, analytic, planning, exploratory, do research, inquest, look into, query, look, specialized
dissertation (part of speech: noun)
contention, essay, hypothesis, article, discussion, thesis, opinion, assertion, argument, examination, premise, commentary, criticism, analysis, conjecture, position, interpolation, postulation, dissertation, critique
experiment (part of speech: verb)
- It is anticipated that upwards of 500 organisations, institutions and public bodies will eventually contribute to this research. - "ERPANET Case Study: Project Gutenberg", ERPANET.
- This, said I, is the most exciting locality I have ever visited for purposes of scientific research. - "Police!!!", Robert W. Chambers.
- Now, some say the research would be expensive. - "State of the Union Addresses of Ronald Reagan", Ronald Reagan.