Definition of reservoir :
1. A place where anything is kept in store; especially, a place where water is collected and kept for use when wanted, as to supply a fountain, a canal, or a city by means of aqueducts, or to drive a mill wheel, or the like.
2. A small intercellular space, often containing resin, essential oil, or some other secreted matter.
ampoule, budget, water supply, germ, source, root, bath, stockpile, author, hoard, atomizer, cistern, stock, collect, aerosol, bonanza, basin, cache, rootage, stash, complex, seed, repertoire, avalanche, bombardment, store, reference, water, treasure, storage place, fund, concentration, butt, loch, mere, cornucopia, reserve, generator, cascade, beginning, feast, force, origin, nest egg, L., backlog, man-made lake, deluge, artificial lake, millpond, blizzard, informant, inventory
body of water (part of speech: noun)
container (part of speech: noun)
suitcase, container, bladder, pouch, ladle, locker, drum, bottle, bucket, tray, holder, shelf, crate, bowl, stomach, vault, box, trunk, wallet, receptacle, cup, purse, bin, tank, can, cabinet, chest, storage, flask, belly, jar, repository, sack, pot, pocket, cupboard, drawer, decanter, bag, closet, barrel, case, jug, vat, basket, cask
- So when a lake or a reservoir is being made it sometimes happens that the sides are lined with clay to keep the water in. - "Lessons on Soil", E. J. Russell.
- If there is a channel or tube from the reservoir to the surface, the water will expand and rise until it fills the basin which is generally found at the mouth of hot springs. - "Round-about Rambles in Lands of Fact and Fancy", Frank Richard Stockton.
- An investigation of the tiny reservoir disclosed masses of poisonous weeds in the water. - "The Plunderer", Roy Norton.