Definition of resident:
- A diplomatic representative who resides at a foreign court; - a term usualy applied to ministers of a rank inferior to that of ambassadors. See the Note under Minister, 4.
- Dwelling, or having an abode, in a place for a continued length of time; residing on one's own estate; - opposed to nonresident; as, resident in the city or in the country.
- Fixed; stable; certain.
- One who resides or dwells in a place for some time.
- "The Voice in the Fog", Harold MacGrath.
- "The House of a Thousand Candles", Meredith Nicholson.
With no little heroism the stretcher- party, which was under Sergeant- Major Dowling, a resident physician in Cape Town, who volunteered his services for the campaign, and who has charge of the subsidiary hospital in the native location, made their way across the zone of fire to the doors of the hospital.- "The Siege of Mafeking (1900)", J. Angus Hamilton.