Definition of resist :
1. A substance applied to a surface, as of metal, to prevent the action on it of acid or other chemical agent.
2. A substance used to prevent a color or mordant from fixing on those parts to which it has been applied, either by acting machanically in preventing the color, etc., from reaching the cloth, or chemically in changing the color so as to render it incapable of fixing itself in the fibers.. The pastes prepared for this purpose are called resist pastes.
3. Something that resists or prevents a certain action;
4. To be distasteful to.
5. To counteract, as a force, by inertia or reaction.
6. To make opposition.
7. To stand against; to withstand; to obstruct.
8. To strive against; to endeavor to counteract, defeat, or frustrate; to act in opposition to; to oppose.
live, compel, stand pat, persist, submit, decline, bear, gybe, stand up, weather, drive, yield, abide, scorn, tolerate, maintain, digest, hold firm, spurn, winnow out, baulk, hold out, traverse, push, ride, change course, survive, combat, take issue, stick out, rule out, stand up to, obtain, eliminate, turn away, put out, disapprove, go, thrust, urge on, hold off, continue, deny, propel, disdain, jib, differ, contest, freeze off, stretch out, stretch forth, live on, reject, suffer, refuse, remain, remain firm, endure, persevere, balk, extend, stomach, buck, exsert, last, pass up, put up, brook, pooh-pooh, turn down, fight back, hold up, place upright, hold, jibe, impel
hinder (part of speech: verb)
cripple, clog, constipate, congest, restrain, fetter, mire, complicate, detain, curb, deter, plug, thwart, restrict, impair, cramp, encumber, choke, snarl, hamstring, dam, handicap, bung, interrupt, entrap, drag, constrain, bottleneck, brake, entangle, catch, baffle, stay, burden, stop, paralyze, jam, hamper, delay, frustrate, tangle, crimp, snag, block, foul
defend (part of speech: verb)
fend, avert, backfire, answer, bar, protect, cover, safeguard, counterattack, defend, return, oppose, respond, rebut, save, barricade, uphold, retort, sustain, screen, police, support, reply, shield, buffer, shelter, guard, argue, ward, secure
oppose (part of speech: verb)
resist (part of speech: verb)
contend (part of speech: verb)
defy (part of speech: verb)
chafe (part of speech: verb)
- But no sooner did she come up with the party, than Raby ordered her back, in a tone she dared not resist. - "Put Yourself in His Place", Charles Reade.
- I can't resist it. - "Unwise Child", Gordon Randall Garrett.
- She sighed to resist. - "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.