Definition of respectively :
1. As relating to each; particularly; as each belongs to each; as each refers to each in order; as, let each man respectively perform his duty.
2. Partially; with respect to private views.
3. Relatively; not absolutely.
4. With respect; regardfully.
- Jackson's intention of standing for the Presidency a second time was kept a profound secret until January, 1831. Under the supposition that he might decline, the partisans of Calhoun, Clay, and Van Buren, engaged in active measures to put them respectively into the field. - "Memoir of the Life of John Quincy Adams.", Josiah Quincy.
- She always cleared them off her territory, several times ravaged theirs, on the two banks of the Po,- called respectively Transpadan and Cispadan Gaul, and gained the majority of the great battles she had to fight. - "A Popular History of France From The Earliest Times Volume I. of VI.", Francois Pierre Guillaume Guizot.
- The interjections respectively fitted the wolf hound, her young mistress, and the mozo, as they appeared in the order named. - "The Mystery of The Barranca", Herman Whitaker.