Definition of respite:
- A putting off of that which was appointed; a postponement or delay.
- Temporary intermission of labor, or of any process or operation; interval of rest; pause; delay.
- Temporary suspension of the execution of a capital offender; reprieve.
- The delay of appearance at court granted to a jury beyond the proper term.
- To delay or postpone; to put off.
- To give or grant a respite to.
- To keep back from execution; to reprieve.
- To relieve by a pause or interval of rest.
hanging, quietus, fill-in, continue, sculptural relief, break of serve, eternal rest, breach, corner, pardon, breather, deferral, deferment, acquittal, balance, deliverance, backup man, fault, remission, residuum, surcease, ease, good luck, foramen, stop, commutation, residual, falling out, happy chance, ministration, shift, succour, remainder, abatement, suspension system, rift, embossment, forgiveness, suspension, breakout, fracture, hiatus, immunity, repose, jailbreak, stand-in, residue, rilievo, relaxation, rest, temporary removal, recess, disruption, truce, eternal sleep, reliever, sleep, pause, interval, cessation, halt, break, open frame, succor, release, prison-breaking, prisonbreak, severance, moderation, niche, rest period, postponement, dangling, rupture, exculpation, time-out, gap, interruption, easing, substitute, adjournment, relief, gaolbreak, relievo, intermission, recession, faulting, letup, backup, breather, reprieve, lull, breakage, abeyance, stay, inlet, breaking, discharge, grace, interregnum, geological fault, delay.
- "From Jest to Earnest", E. P. Roe.
- "Amy Herbert", Elizabeth Sewell.
- "Okewood of the Secret Service", Valentine Williams.