Definition of response :
1. A kind of anthem sung after the lessons of matins and some other parts of the office.
2. A repetition of the given subject in a fugue by another part on the fifth above or fourth below.
3. An answer or reply.
4. Reply to an objection in formal disputation.
5. The act of responding.
6. The answer of the people or congregation to the priest or clergyman, in the litany and other parts of divine service.
defense (part of speech: noun)
countermeasure, screen, protection, fortress, argument, resistance, harbor, cover, barrier, barricade, stronghold, shelter, safeguard, wall, aversion, buffer, guard, counterattack, security, support, shield, backfire, armor, moat
answer (part of speech: noun)
countercharge, explanation, answer, reply, retort, rebuttal, counter-statement, excuse, riposte, comeback, counterclaim, rejoinder, return, counter-reply, replication, surrebuttal, counter-accusation, acknowledgment, echo
feeling (part of speech: noun)
response (part of speech: noun)
retaliation (part of speech: noun)
- " Willingly," was his response. - "Zibeline, Complete", Phillipe de Massa Last Updated: March 2, 2009.
- Skip's instant response to his name had, of course, been perfectly natural to him. - "Astounding Stories of Super-Science, March 1930", Various.
- This self- evident piece of information met with no response. - "Some Experiences of an Irish R.M.", E. OE. Somerville Martin Ross.