Definition of rest:
- A place where one may rest, either temporarily, as in an inn, or permanently, as, in an abode.
- A projection from the right side of the cuirass, serving to support the lance.
- A set or game at tennis.
- A short pause in reading verse; a csura.
- A state of quiet or repose; a cessation from motion or labor; tranquillity; as, rest from mental exertion; rest of body or mind.
- A surplus held as a reserved fund by a bank to equalize its dividends, etc.; in the Bank of England, the balance of assets above liabilities.
- Hence, freedom from everything which wearies or disturbs; peace; security.
- Silence in music or in one of its parts; the name of the character that stands for such silence. They are named as notes are, whole, half, quarter, etc.
- Sleep; slumber; hence, poetically, death.
- That on which anything rests or leans for support; as, a rest in a lathe, for supporting the cutting tool or steadying the work.
- That which is left, or which remains after the separation of a part, either in fact or in contemplation; remainder; residue.
- The striking of a balance at regular intervals in a running account.
- Those not included in a proposition or description; the remainder; others.
- To arrest.
- To be free from whanever wearies or disturbs; to be quiet or still.
- To be left; to remain; to continue to be.
- To be satisfied; to acquiesce.
- To cease from action or motion, especially from action which has caused weariness; to desist from labor or exertion.
- To lay or place at rest; to quiet.
- To lean in confidence; to trust; to rely; to repose without anxiety; as, to rest on a man's promise.
- To lie; to repose; to recline; to lan; as, to rest on a couch.
- To place, as on a support; to cause to lean.
- To sleep; to slumber; hence, poetically, to be dead.
- To stand firm; to be fixed; to be supported; as, a column rests on its pedestal.
repose, litter, landfill, interval, breathe, intermission, backup man, slumbering, allegro, framework, residual, sojourn, remainder, delay, lie, gantry, tranquillity, bar line, buttress, suspire, wild horses couldn't..., pillar, stick around, live, z's, arpeggio, hiatus, balance, confront, debris, backup, dwell, hang upon, eternal rest, counterpoise, retreat, ataraxis, crescendo, persist, proportion, stick, decompression, liberalization, deadlock, activity, descant, suspension, sculptural relief, easing, pass off, sopor, flourish, sit back, excerpt, pillow, relaxation, bar, arr., put down, stanchion, remain, recess, trestle, ruin, cessation, respire, pile, base, take a breather, anticipate, burial, oddment, perch, symmetricalness, scaffold, turn upon, joist, extinction, start, break, e-waste, fall, peace of mind, inactive, roost, coda, hush, residuum, lounge around, slackening, set, napping, demise, concentrate, quietude, prop, motionless, stay, con brio, bask, symmetry, belong, appease, breakbeat, stiff, tarry, stand-in, lie in, bear, end, informality, see, counterbalance, heartsease, fixity, tolerate, counterpoint, assuagement, trash, last out, equalizer, observe, catch one's breath, frame, stay on, silence, recumb, emit, recharge your batteries, lie down, idle away, accompaniment, easement, embossment, catch, rafter, spot, bury, andante, loosening, pedestal, lodge, reprieve, wind down, consist, if it kills you, ease, bier, adagio, death, sedentary, liberalisation, inertia, relievo, respite, coffin, ashes, clef, remains, foundation, immobile, resting, continuance, con amore, garbage, glimpse, occupy, domicile, reliever, ministration, succour, ...or bust, turn on, snoozing, breathing space, ride out, discontinuance, excess, bed, fill-in, pick out, laze, hang on, seat, simpleness, catnapping, at rest, stay put, sleep, comfort, in for a penny, in for a pound, quietus, there is/are etc., outride, equilibrium, curtain, shut-eye, moderation, cadence, expect, alleviation, position, static, lull, quell, undisturbed, balance wheel, set out, while away, inhabit, domiciliate, support, there's no stopping someone, box, inert, take a breath, counterweight, dissolution, surplus, detain, equipoise, exist, time out, watch, remnant, cremate, reside, continue, relaxation behavior, recline, substitute, relief, abide, halt, eternal sleep, and damn the consequences/expense etc., casket, simplicity, shack, lodge in, bass clef, sit, witness, lay, breather, alight, waste, abatement, difference, won't take no for an answer, make out, endure, bottom, dozing, rilievo, get, proportionality, residue, correspondence, cremains, bide, rest period, if it's the last thing I do, await, cortege, light, relaxation method, junk, place, where there's a will, there's a way, decease, put, passing, stationary, easiness, equaliser, succor.
- inaction (part of speech: noun)
- calm (part of speech: noun)
- rest (part of speech: verb)
- motionlessness (part of speech: noun)
- repose (part of speech: verb)
- peace (part of speech: noun)
- death (part of speech: noun)
- relax (part of speech: verb)
- leisure (part of speech: noun)
- stagnate (part of speech: verb)