Definition of retainer:
- A fee paid to engage a lawyer or counselor to maintain a cause, or to prevent his being employed by the opposing party in the case; - called also retaining fee.
- Hence, a servant, not a domestic, but occasionally attending and wearing his master's livery.
- One who is retained or kept in service; an attendant; an adherent; a hanger- on.
- One who, or that which, retains.
- The act of a client by which he engages a lawyer or counselor to manage his cause.
- The act of keeping dependents, or the state of being in dependence.
- The act of withholding what one has in his hands by virtue of some right.
henchman, appraisal, thoughtfulness, accessory, advance, daily, steward, benefit, handmaid, bath, follower, helper, hand, assistant, blockbusting, menial, domestic, partner, BR, worker, coadjutor, attendant, appraise, flunky, consideration, associate, double time, cap, bonus, ally, bridge, bridge loan, accomplice, company car, companion, condition, considerateness, braces, balloon mortgage, amalgam, servant, participator, confederate, dentistry, expenses, flow-on, colleague, slavey, handmaiden, valet, flexible benefits, jobholder, payment, chain, cavity, hireling, building society, commission, expense account, crown, abetter _or_ abettor, circumstance, caries, closing, lackey, deposit, combat pay.
Ameni inspired the anxious and sorrowful old retainer with, fresh courage, returned with him in his own chariot to the harbor, and accompanied him to Setchem's boat to prepare her for the happiness which awaited her after her terrible troubles.- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- "Murder in the Gunroom", Henry Beam Piper.
- "On Something", H. Belloc.