Definition of retaliatory :
1. Of or pertaining to retribution; of the nature of retribution; involving retribution or repayment; as, retributive justice; retributory comforts.
2. Tending to, or involving, retaliation; retaliative; as retaliatory measures.
retaliatory (part of speech: adjective)
vengeful (part of speech: adjective)
- Some slight retaliatory legislation aimed at the Allies was passed by Congress, but for the most part interest in this controversy died in the face of the growing irritation with Germany. - "The United States Since The Civil War", Charles Ramsdell Lingley.
- In that case, the surrounding nations would of course adopt retaliatory measures, and resolve themselves into so many asylums for fugitive Israelitish servants. - "The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Omnibus", American Anti-Slavery Society.
- Index: Dr Chosen by lot for retaliatory hanging, 198. Bib. - "The Makers of Canada: Index and Dictionary of Canadian History", Various.