Definition of retardation:
- That which retards; an obstacle; an obstruction.
- The act of retarding; hindrance; the act of delaying; as, the retardation of the motion of a ship; - opposed to acceleration.
- The extent to which anything is retarded; the amount of retarding or delay.
- The keeping back of an approaching consonant chord by prolonging one or more tones of a previous chord into the intermediate chord which follows; - differing from suspension by resolving upwards instead of downwards.
retardent, slowness, awkwardness, subnormality, mental retardation, help, meanwhile, maladroitness, deliberateness, unhurriedness, slowdown, stave, deceleration, lag, insanity, impediment, backwardness, ineptness, time, holdup, meantime, braking, detainment, clumsiness, downshift, deliberation, obstacle, retardant, hindrance, letup, interim, slowing, ineptitude, delay.
- "Foes", Mary Johnston.
- "On the Firing Line in Education", Adoniram Judson Ladd.
We have the same right to assert this of the organism as we have to assert that retardation and degradation attend the actions of inanimate machines, which assertion, also, is based on observation of results.- "The Birth-Time of the World and Other Scientific Essays", J. (John) Joly.