Definition of retreat:
- A period of several days of withdrawal from society to a religious house for exclusive occupation in the duties of devotion; as, to appoint or observe a retreat.
- A signal given in the army or navy, by the beat of a drum or the sounding of trumpet or bugle, at sunset ( when the roll is called), or for retiring from action.
- A special season of solitude and silence to engage in religious exercises.
- The act of retiring or withdrawing one's self, especially from what is dangerous or disagreeable.
- The place to which anyone retires; a place or privacy or safety; a refuge; an asylum.
- The retiring of an army or body of men from the face of an enemy, or from any ground occupied to a greater distance from the enemy, or from an advanced position.
- The withdrawing of a ship or fleet from an enemy for the purpose of avoiding an engagement or escaping after defeat.
- To make a retreat; to retire from any position or place; to withdraw; as, the defeated army retreated from the field.
retrogression, pullout, play it safe, hideout, leave, back, aggressor, break, drop off, check, adjourn, kip down, quietude, beleaguered, engagement, turn in, respite, sequestrate, put out, checkmate, pull in one's horns, protection, harborage, a change of heart, sanctuary, capture, combat, battle cry, active service, crawfish out, hit the hay, asylum, war, front, cache, security, forward, adapt, stand aside, strike out, pull away, have a narrow/lucky escape, bishop, retirement, abandon, departure, defense, involvement, reappraisal, move with the times, draw off, evade, hermitage, hit the sack, take evasive action, reversal, go to sleep, capitulate, scatter, unsay, backpedal, progress, bed, interference, revise, retraction, habitat, port, volte-face, call back, mission, cover, convert, intervention, take back, sequester, convent, hedge, withdrawal, solitude, breathing space, draw back, pull back, resort, on second thought, back out, take out, retire, hideaway, incursion, blackout, turnaround, hash over, assault, intrusion, shelter, haunt, miss, about-face, recall, bombed-out, removal, cloister, pullback, time out, battle, take away, bow out, retract, sack out, entry, seclude, pitched battle, breather, hiding place, comfort, retrograde, chessman, fall back, take, see reason/sense, move back, turnabout, skirmish, harbor, campaign, shrink, withdraw, renounce, grand master, stake, skate over/around, back away, seclusion, fall behind, rehash, exclusion, part, den, backtrack, leap, struggle, relaxation, move on, chessboard, going, disengage, refuge, sanctum, provide against, rest, call in, conversion, swallow, safety, lose, shift, bolt-hole, participation, retrogress, advance, chess, black out, belligerent, recede, crawl in, privacy, fallback, draw, go to bed, crawfish, cell, haven, castle, active duty, air cover, change your mind, chessman, remove, covert, evacuation, gambit, attack.
- "The Dark Forest", Hugh Walpole.
- "Falkland, Complete", Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
- "Faust", Goethe.