Definition of rival:
- A person having a common right or privilege with another; a partner.
- Having the same pretensions or claims; standing in competition for superiority; as, rival lovers; rival claims or pretensions.
- One who is in pursuit of the same object as another; one striving to reach or obtain something which another is attempting to obtain, and which one only can posses; a competitor; as, rivals in love; rivals for a crown.
- To be in rivalry.
- To stand in competition with; to strive to gain some object in opposition to; as, to rival one in love.
- To strive to equal or exel; to emulate.
jibe, affect, tint, refer, come to, play off, bear upon, antagonistic, cope with, equal, vying, emulating, same, contest, tinct, meet, equalise, pertain, border on, stir, contact, reach, competing, corrival, approach, contender, concern, pit, allude, tally, have-to doe with, adjoin, disturb, partake, battling, relate, competitor, equalize, conflict, challenger, agree, contending, approximate, conflicting, competition, contesting, vie, match, correspond, advert, striving, challenge, pair, impact, compete, competitive, disputing, contention, check, touch on, gibe, contend, be, mate, oppose, verge on, touch, bear on, couple, rivalry, fit, extend to, competitory, tinge, equate, emulate, twin, opposing.
- combatant (part of speech: noun)
- equal (part of speech: adjective)
- opponent (part of speech: noun)
- enemy (part of speech: noun)