Definition of roundel :
1. A bastion of a circular form.
2. A circular spot; a sharge in the form of a small circle.
3. A rondelay.
4. A small circular shield, sometimes not more than a foot in diameter, used by soldiers in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.
5. Anything having a round form; a round figure; a circle.
- But first were chosen foules for to singe As yeer by yere was always hir usaunce To singe a roundel at hir departinge To do Nature honour and pleasunce, and the whole ends with the charming roundel:- Now welcom somer with thy sonne softe. - "Chaucer and His Times", Grace E. Hadow.
- Come, we must not again disagree; but, by my halidame, I think one troubadour roundel worth all that Petrarch ever wrote. - "Rienzi", Edward Bulwer Lytton.