Definition of rub:
- A chance.
- A stone, commonly flat, used to sharpen cutting tools; a whetstone; - called also rubstone.
- Imperfection; failing; fault.
- Inequality of surface, as of the ground in the game of bowls; unevenness.
- Something grating to the feelings; sarcasm; joke; as, a hard rub.
- That which rubs; that which tends to hinder or obstruct motion or progress; hindrance; obstruction, an impediment; especially, a difficulty or obstruction hard to overcome; a pinch.
- The act of rubbing; friction.
- To cause ( a body) to move with pressure and friction along a surface; as, to rub the hand over the body.
- To fret; to chafe; as, to rub upon a sore.
- To hinder; to cross; to thwart.
- To move along the surface of a body with pressure; to grate; as, a wheel rubs against the gatepost.
- To move or pass with difficulty; as, to rub through woods, as huntsmen; to rub through the world.
- To move over the surface of ( a body) with pressure and friction; to graze; to chafe; as, the boat rubs the ground.
- To scour; to burnish; to polish; to brighten; to cleanse; - often with up or over; as, to rub up silver.
- To spread a substance thinly over; to smear.
- To subject ( a body) to the action of something moving over its surface with pressure and friction, especially to the action of something moving back and forth; as, to rub the flesh with the hand; to rub wood with sandpaper.
call off, dab, compress, harm, mar, gravel, solution, hang-up, battle, niggle, dilemma, bury, gall, root, rent, crown, eat away, excise, annihilate, remove, damage, hinderance, purification, term of enlistment, zap, stay, rasping, vex, sweep, inscribe, stress, choke, friction, stop, duty tour, preventative, attrition, strike, worst-case scenario, fuss, devil, rile, vacate, recover, bump off, smother, stain, exterminate, help, annoy, snag, fray, halt, stoppage, excoriate, top, come up, nettle, snuff out, hell, split, rag, get to, rub out, answer, itch, limp, destroy, enlistment, crisis, nip, uproot, wipe, blanket, eat into, make, murder, take its toll, put away, preventive, efface, disfigure, tour, kill, shine, rankle, impediment, polish, depress, wipe out, gag, scrape up, off, coat, liquidate, squeeze, stamp out, obliterate, finish, blot out, scour, scratch up, tear, eradicate, frazzle, cover, bother, knead, flatten, difficulty, aid, encumbrance, massage, obstacle, extirpate, rinse, mark, erode, delete, trouble, undo, abolish, hobble, nark, wrap, erase, chafe, tour of duty, arrest, insulate, cancel, nightmare, press, hurt, expunge, knock off, hitch, grave, fret, run, waste, rip, spoil, detoxification, extinguish, scrunch, slay, quagmire, buff, injure, hindrance, interference, incumbrance, clear, get at, treatment, continue, crush, scratch, do in, engrave, tragedy, check, ordeal.