Definition of ruff:
- A collar on a shaft ot other piece to prevent endwise motion. See Illust. of Collar.
- A game similar to whist, and the predecessor of it.
- A limicoline bird of Europe and Asia ( Pavoncella, / Philommachus, pugnax) allied to the sandpipers. The males during the breeding season have a large ruff of erectile feathers, variable in their colors, on the neck, and yellowish naked tubercles on the face. They are polygamous, and are noted for their pugnacity in the breeding season. The female is called reeve, or rheeve.
- A low, vibrating beat of a drum, not so loud as a roll; a ruffle.
- A muslin or linen collar plaited, crimped, or fluted, worn formerly by both sexes, now only by women and children.
- A set of lengthened or otherwise modified feathers round, or on, the neck of a bird.
- A variety of the domestic pigeon, having a ruff of its neck.
- Alt. of Ruffe
- An exhibition of pride or haughtiness.
- Something formed with plaits or flutings, like the collar of this name.
- The act of trumping, especially when one has no card of the suit led.
- To beat with the ruff or ruffle, as a drum.
- To hit, as the prey, without fixing it.
- To ruffle; to disorder.
- To trump.
- Wanton or tumultuous procedure or conduct.
furbelow, collar, disturbance, affray, dog collar, gimcrackery, fray, strangler, folderal, frill, scoop, garrotter, outdo, neckband, throttler, falderol, trump, outflank, ruffle, trump out, gimcrack, Philomachus Pugnax, nonsense, neck ruff, flounce, choker, garroter, best, trumping, trumpery.
- "Love Letters of a Rookie to Julie", Barney Stone.
- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- "Auction of To-day", Milton C. Work.