Definition of ruler :
1. A straight or curved strip of wood, metal, etc., with a smooth edge, used for guiding a pen or pencil in drawing lines. Cf. Rule, n., 7 ( a).
2. One who rules; one who exercises sway or authority; a governor.
regulation, director for types of rules, prime minister, monarch, regent, principle, normal, crowned head, premier, convention, prince, adjudicator, dictator, swayer, formula, emperor, pattern, potentate, chief executive, prescript, chancellor, sovereign, linguistic rule, dominion, head of state
director (part of speech: noun)
master (part of speech: noun)
landlady, authority, Lord, governor, guru, senior, president, master, sire, abbot, titleholder, chief, executive, quartermaster, commander, squire, dean, maestro, proprietor, captain, mahatma, commandant, officer, head, star, kingpin, landlord, headmaster, proprietress, headmistress, mother, director, manager, principal, mandarin, leader
gauge (part of speech: noun)
- In fact, the brain is far more the servant of the body than its ruler; and depends for its food supply, its protection, its health, and its very life, upon the rest of the body. - "A Handbook of Health", Woods Hutchinson.
- He died after a long reign, and as he left no son, I now reign, the sole ruler of the island. - "Folklore as an Historical Science", George Laurence Gomme.
- To obey neither general nor ruler of any sort? - "The Memorabilia Recollections of Socrates", Xenophon.