Definition of rust:
- A composition used in making a rust joint. See joint, below.
- A minute mold or fungus forming reddish or rusty spots on the leaves and stems of cereal and other grasses ( Trichobasis Rubigo- vera), now usually believed to be a form or condition of the corn mildew ( Puccinia graminis). As rust, it has solitary reddish spores; as corn mildew, the spores are double and blackish.
- Corrosive or injurious accretion or influence.
- Foul matter arising from degeneration; as, rust on salted meat.
- That which resembles rust in appearance or effects.
- The reddish yellow coating formed on iron when exposed to moist air, consisting of ferric oxide or hydroxide; hence, by extension, any metallic film of corrosion.
- To be affected with the parasitic fungus called rust; also, to acquire a rusty appearance, as plants.
- To cause to contract rust; to corrode with rust; to affect with rust of any kind.
- To contract rust; to be or become oxidized.
- To degenerate in idleness; to become dull or impaired by inaction.
- To impair by time and inactivity.
decay, exhaust, corrode, stain, damage, run through, residue, brown, eat up, consume, deplete, dioxin, red, hurt, erode, wipe out, red-yellow, reddish-brown, precipitate, eat on, out of practice, rust fungus, mark, harm, rust-brown, crystal, oak apple, rot, distillate, blight, scale, become rusty, rusting, take its toll, use up, disfigure, filtrate, feed, Dutch elm disease, injure, rusty, chromatic, eat, mar, disease, degenerate, canker, hoary, spoil.
- "The Last Hope", Henry Seton Merriman.
- "Life of Charles Dickens", Frank Marzials.
- "Salute to Adventurers", John Buchan.