Definition of rustle:
- A quick succession or confusion of small sounds, like those made by shaking leaves or straw, by rubbing silk, or the like; a rustling.
- To cause to rustle; as, the wind rustles the leaves.
- To make a quick succession of small sounds, like the rubbing or moving of silk cloth or dry leaves.
- To stir about energetically; to strive to succeed; to bustle about.
hotfoot, rescind, motor, rear, pasture, click, ripple, rocket, career, blow, buzz, reverse, hie, bolt, bowl, race, tear, hook, shoot, raise, browse, ram, peep, pad, hump, hurl, uprise, hasten, jump, hare, whispering, get up, scurry, rip, face-lift, purloin, bustle, airlift, burgle, vacate, jet, lift, careen, scuttle, pelt, ding, rustling, breeze, voicelessness, overturn, bring up, zoom, bundle, arise, babble, run, cannonball, snatch, chase, cough, whisk, crunch, scoot, noise, dash, friction, wind, repeal, pitter-patter, blast, forage, plagiarise, susurration, whirl, hustle, crackle, burble, move up, trot, fizzle, rush, run away with, bomb, whisper, rise, drive, come up, speed, cabbage, zip, fly, hurtle, grate, help yourself to something, patter, walk off with, swish, barrel, step, elevate, highball, go up, nobble, susurrus, blaze, travel, crack, belt, purl, pinch, hoist, countermand, pit-a-pat, course, snarf, revoke, sneak, annul, murmur.
- "Rataplan", Ellen Velvin.
- "Rosy", Mrs. Molesworth.
- "The Hound of the Baskervilles", A. Conan Doyle.