Definition of sabbatarian :
1. A strict observer of the Sabbath.
2. Of or pertaining to the Sabbath, or the tenets of Sabbatarians.
3. One who regards and keeps the seventh day of the week as holy, agreeably to the letter of the fourth commandment in the Decalogue.
- She was a Calvinistic Sabbatarian in religion, and in worldly matters she was a devout believer in the high rank of her noble relatives. - "Can You Forgive Her?", Anthony Trollope.
- In the Sabbath controversy now carrying on, it has been invariably taken for granted by the anti- Sabbatarian press of the country, that our Town Councils do represent the general constituency; and there has been much founded on the assumption. - "Leading Articles on Various Subjects", Hugh Miller.
- Anybody else would have turned Sabbatarian for once, and refrained from flirting with the Grosvilles' niece. - "The Marriage of William Ashe", Mrs. Humphry Ward.