Definition of sad:
- Affected with grief or unhappiness; cast down with affliction; downcast; gloomy; mournful.
- Afflictive; calamitous; causing sorrow; as, a sad accident; a sad misfortune.
- Dull; grave; dark; somber; - said of colors.
- Heavy; weighty; ponderous; close; hard.
- Hence, bad; naughty; troublesome; wicked.
- Sated; satisfied; weary; tired.
- Serious; grave; sober; steadfast; not light or frivolous.
- To make sorrowful; to sadden.
tristful, brokenhearted, no-good, no-account, pitiable, wistful, desolate, doleful, moving, crestfallen, desolate, oppressed, gloomy, down, perturbing, worrisome, vicious, funereal, saddening, unhappy, horrified, regretful, sorry, heavy-hearted, apprehensive, woebegone, no-count, melancholy, dysphoric, wretched, mourning, heart-rending, distressing, distressful, dark, dingy, foreboding, tragic, downcast, cut up, lugubrious, spiritless, troubling, meritless, misfortunate, hopeless, low, disturbing, disquieting, bitter, troubled, melancholic, drab, languishing, tragicomic, distressed, dire, sorrowful, drear, hapless, pitiful, good-for-nothing, down, bad, reprehensible, deplorable, jaundiced, unhappy, cast down, pessimistic, poignant, forlorn, depressive, mournful, saturnine, touching, weeping, poor, gay, oppressive, worrying, depressing, happy, condemnable, tragicomical, heavy, discouraging, pensive, pathetic, regrettable, heavy-hearted, bittersweet, somber, yearning, careworn, morbid, tragical, dispiriting, dismal, lamenting, unfortunate, cheerless, criminal, rueful, lamentable, piteous, heavyhearted, happy, execrable, downcast, dull, grievous, spiritless, afflicted, good-for-naught, worried.
dejected (part of speech: adjective)
- inferior (part of speech: noun)