Definition of saffron :
1. A bulbous iridaceous plant ( Crocus sativus) having blue flowers with large yellow stigmas. See Crocus.
2. An orange or deep yellow color, like that of the stigmas of the Crocus sativus.
3. Having the color of the stigmas of saffron flowers; deep orange- yellow; as, a saffron face; a saffron streamer.
4. The aromatic, pungent, dried stigmas, usually with part of the stile, of the Crocus sativus. is used in cookery, and in coloring confectionery, liquors, varnishes, etc., and was formerly much used in medicine.
5. To give color and flavor to, as by means of saffron; to spice.
yellow (part of speech: adjective)
gilded, aurin, goldenrod, creamy, crocus, sunny, primrose, lemon, sunshine, amber, yellow, buttery, cream-colored, sulfur, champagne, tawny, chartreuse, honey, sandy, buff, honey-colored, canary, mustard, dandelion, xanthic, flaxen, gold, ecru, straw, fallow, maize, citron, jasmine, sallow, jaundiced, golden
- Ludgate Hill, Fishstreet Hill, Dowgate Hill, Garlick Hill, Saffron Hill, Holborn Hill, and Tower Hill. - "Mary Powell & Deborah's Diary", Anne Manning.
- Finally he stayed at home altogether, perhaps because his face and the whites of his eyes had turned as yellow as the saffron in his shop. - "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- Later it cleared up entirely, and there was a glorious fairweather sunset of glowing saffron and flaming poppy red. - "Down the Columbia", Lewis R. Freeman.