Definition of sally:
- A flight of fancy, liveliness, wit, or the like; a flashing forth of a quick and active mind.
- A leaping forth; a darting; a spring.
- A rushing or bursting forth; a quick issue; a sudden eruption; specifically, an issuing of troops from a place besieged to attack the besiegers; a sortie.
- An excursion from the usual track; range; digression; deviation.
- To leap or rush out; to burst forth; to issue suddenly; as a body of troops from a fortified place to attack besiegers; to make a sally.
- Transgression of the limits of soberness or steadiness; act of levity; wild gayety; frolic; escapade.
cracking, cranny, whirl, fling, fissure, gap, cleft, offer, pass, march out, wisecrack, scissure, epigram, hurry, shot, fracture, sallying forth, crevice, snap, go forth, crack, quip, sortie, tornado, chap, go, crack cocaine.
- "Hetty's Strange History", Anonymous.
- "Some Experiences of an Irish R.M.", E. OE. Somerville Martin Ross.
- "The Bat", Avery Hopwood Mary Roberts Rinehart.