Definition of salute:
- A sign, token, or ceremony, expressing good will, compliment, or respect, as a kiss, a bow, etc.
- A token of respect or honor for some distinguished or official personage, for a foreign vessel or flag, or for some festival or event, as by presenting arms, by a discharge of cannon, volleys of small arms, dipping the colors or the topsails, etc.
- Hence, to give a sign of good will; to compliment by an act or ceremony, as a kiss, a bow, etc.
- The act of saluting, or expressing kind wishes or respect; salutation; greeting.
- To address, as with expressions of kind wishes and courtesy; to greet; to hail.
- To honor, as some day, person, or nation, by a discharge of cannon or small arms, by dipping colors, by cheers, etc.
- To promote the welfare and safety of; to benefit; to gratify.
confront, jollify, cost, address, plight, racket, acquaint, greeting, exhibit, portray, present, represent, booze, give, demo, whoop it up, stage, military greeting, introduce, toast, pledge, drink, demonstrate, speak to, gift, salutation, submit, lay out, pose, make happy, drink in, appeal, crispen, subscribe, tope, fanfare, woo, act of respect, court, award, deliver, crisp, apostrophize, seek, wassail, make whoopie, imbibe, face, fuddle, show.
- celebrate (part of speech: verb)
- greet (part of speech: verb)
celebration (part of speech: noun)
- "In Search of a Son", William Shepard Walsh.
- "A Hero of Liége", Herbert Strang.
- "The Further Adventures of Jimmie Dale", Frank L. Packard.