Definition of salve :
1. A soothing remedy or antidote.
2. An adhesive composition or substance to be applied to wounds or sores; a healing ointment.
4. To heal by applications or medicaments; to cure by remedial treatment; to apply salve to; as, to salve a wound.
5. To heal; to remedy; to cure; to make good; to soothe, as with an ointment, especially by some device, trick, or quibble; to gloss over.
6. To save, as a ship or goods, from the perils of the sea.
7. To say Salve to; to greet; to salute.
lay aside, emollient, calamine, economize, Ben-Gay, counterirritant, excuse, lighten, inunction, relieve, save up, menthol ice, oiliness, palliate, salvage, help, spare, aloe, make unnecessary, cream, cerate, write, assuage, keep, hold open, take over, scavenge, ease, coal tar, economise, unctuousness, lanolin Vaseline, allay, unbosom, zinc oxide, smarm, oleaginousness, Mentholatum, preserve, unguent, pull through, redeem, still, alleviate, keep open, free, exempt, save, fulsomeness, unction, deliver, carry through, let off, lubricant, bring through, smarminess
lubricate (part of speech: verb)
remedy (part of speech: noun)
- But that doesn't salve the sore. - "The Prairie Mother", Arthur Stringer.
- Waddles can be very formal and dignified and diplomatic when he wants to be, and as a salve spreader he has few equals and no superiors. - "Fore!", Charles Emmett Van Loan.
- The Salve inscribed or worked in mosaic upon the threshold of the outer door expressed the generous hospitality which characterized all Roman dwellings of that time. - "Roman Women Woman: In All Ages and in All Countries, Volume 2 (of 10)", Alfred Brittain.