Definition of salve:
- A soothing remedy or antidote.
- An adhesive composition or substance to be applied to wounds or sores; a healing ointment.
- To heal by applications or medicaments; to cure by remedial treatment; to apply salve to; as, to salve a wound.
- To heal; to remedy; to cure; to make good; to soothe, as with an ointment, especially by some device, trick, or quibble; to gloss over.
- To save, as a ship or goods, from the perils of the sea.
- To say Salve to; to greet; to salute.
lay aside, lighten, preserve, assuage, smarm, emollient, hold open, Mentholatum, pull through, spare, allay, counterirritant, save, lanolin Vaseline, unction, salvage, economise, zinc oxide, carry through, economize, deliver, menthol ice, ease, lubricant, let off, keep open, excuse, scavenge, palliate, calamine, ointment, save up, exempt, unctuousness, Ben-Gay, cerate, alleviate, fulsomeness, coal tar, help, aloe, bring through, oiliness, redeem, keep, unguent, write, still, relieve, balm, inunction, free, smarminess, oleaginousness, take over, cream, make unnecessary, unbosom.
- "The Prairie Mother", Arthur Stringer.
- "Fore!", Charles Emmett Van Loan.
- "Roman Women Woman: In All Ages and in All Countries, Volume 2 (of 10)", Alfred Brittain.