Definition of sandpiper :
1. A small lamprey eel; the pride.
2. Any one of numerous species of small limicoline game birds belonging to Tringa, Actodromas, Ereunetes, and various allied genera of the family Tringidae.
bird (part of speech: noun)
goose, ringtail, snipe, crested jay, stork, penguin, yellowbird, pelican, bluebill, crane, barn owl, condor, turkey, lark, rook, blackbird, partridge, egret, swallow, crow, ibis, duck, bird, mallard, heron, nuthatch, tern, parakeet, grouse, swift, road runner, owl, vulture, loon, hummingbird, parrot, wren, thrush, bittern, peregrine, mourning dove, harrier, dove, horned owl, kingfisher, canary, sea gull, woodpecker, gull, peacock, mockingbird, osprey, tit, cormorant, eagle, cuckoo, weaver, ostrich, grosbeak, cockatoo, jackdaw, cardinal, dodo, chickadee, goldfinch, sheldrake, oriole, pigeon, coot, teal, quetzal, falcon, hawk, grackle, nightingale, redbird, booby, waxwing, squab, robin, Canada goose, blue jay, myna, starling, bluebird, redwing, lovebird, swan, plover, curlew, bald eagle, macaw, emu, cassowary, puffin, turtledove, flamingo, magpie, pheasant, sparrow, finch, jay, buzzard, bullfinch, spoonbill, songbird, albatross, raven
- It was to us a delightful spot to run about and play on, and though the golden plover did not come there it was haunted during the summer by small flocks of the pretty buff- coloured sandpiper, a sandpiper with the habits of a plover, one, too, which breeds in the arctic regions and spends half the year in southern South America. - "Far Away and Long Ago", W. H. Hudson.
- For part of the year the beach is the resort of the red- necked sandpiper, which has an enormous appetite for the small, live things of the sea's margin. - "Tropic Days", E. J. Banfield.
- Another dainty person who haunts these same shallows is the spotted sandpiper, the much loved " teeter- tail." - "Sigurd Our Golden Collie and Other Comrades of the Road", Katharine Lee Bates.