Definition of sapphire :
1. Any humming bird of the genus Hylocharis, native of South America. The throat and breast are usually bright blue.
2. Native alumina or aluminium sesquioxide, Al2O3; corundum; esp., the blue transparent variety of corundum, highly prized as a gem.
3. Of or resembling sapphire; sapphirine; blue.
4. The color of the gem; bright blue.
gem (part of speech: noun)
diamond, moonstone, star sapphire, rose quartz, turquoise, coral, bloodstone, jade, sardonyx, agate, topaz, garnet, lapis lazuli, emerald, aquamarine, onyx, carbuncle, ruby, hyacinth, chalcedony, gem, zircon, beryl, amethyst, opal
blue (part of speech: adjective)
gems (part of speech: noun)
- In those pre- war days the Riviera- that sea- lapped Paradise, with its clear, open sky and sapphire Mediterranean, grey- green olives and tall flowering aloes, its gorgeous blossoms, and its merry, dark- eyed populace who lived with no thought of the morrow- was, indeed, the playground of Europe. - "The Secrets of Potsdam", William Le Queux.
- Slow sapphire surges broke at her feet, tossing great pearls of spray against the cliff. - "Lavender and Old Lace", Myrtle Reed.
- It is blue- it is sapphire- it is like the eye of a lovely woman. - "Greene Ferne Farm", Richard Jefferies.