Definition of save :
1. Except; excepting; not including; leaving out; deducting; reserving; saving.
2. Except; unless.
3. Specifically, to deliver from sin and its penalty; to rescue from a state of condemnation and spiritual death, and bring into a state of spiritual life.
4. The herb sage, or salvia.
5. To avoid unnecessary expense or expenditure; to prevent waste; to be economical.
6. To hinder from doing, suffering, or happening; to obviate the necessity of; to prevent; to spare.
7. To hold possession or use of; to escape loss of.
8. To keep from being spent or lost; to secure from waste or expenditure; to lay up; to reserve.
9. To make safe; to procure the safety of; to preserve from injury, destruction, or evil of any kind; to rescue from impending danger; as, to save a house from the flames.
10. To rescue from something undesirable or hurtful; to prevent from doing something; to spare.
action, however, save up, dispense with, pen, just, husband, birth, extradite, salvage, give up, publish, besides, carry through, notwithstanding, provided, lessen, compose, carry out, bear, spend, spare, observe, drive home, reclaim, restrain, pull round, keep open, make it, set by, let off, celebrate, exempt, free, lighten, hold on, hold, collect, scavenge, lay aside, make unnecessary, execute, set aside, gather, desert, take over, hold back, keep up, deport, economise, that, part with, curtail, nevertheless, salt away, amass, lay up, condemn, and, ease, bring through, fork over, excuse, pitch, carry on, except, lay by, keep back, barely, spell, render, salve, allay, further, retain, indite, cede, lay away, keep on, still, pile up, turn in, damn, yet, proceed, tho, regenerate, present, assuage, survive, put by, accomplish, unless, fork up, redeem, fulfil, hand over, drop a line, come through, liberate, palliate, ransom, only, have, but, endanger, set free, pull-through, fork out, stay fresh, lay in, unbosom, hold open, remedy, prevent, surrender, avoid, give birth, merely, continue, bear on, waste, help, go on, put up, alleviate, go along, pay off, release, moreover, write, fulfill
defend (part of speech: verb)
defend, reply, buffer, support, counterattack, police, avert, respond, barricade, ward, answer, oppose, backfire, bar, sustain, screen, fend, uphold, rebut, return, guard, safeguard, protect, argue, cover, counter, secure, shelter, retort, resist, shield
conserve (part of speech: verb)
economize (part of speech: verb)
rescue (part of speech: verb)
store (part of speech: verb)