Definition of saving :
1. Avoiding unnecessary expense or waste; frugal; not lavish or wasteful; economical; as, a saving cook.
2. Bringing back in returns or in receipts the sum expended; incurring no loss, though not gainful; as, a saving bargain; the ship has made a saving voyage.
3. Exception; reservation.
4. Making reservation or exception; as, a saving clause.
5. of Save
6. Preserving; rescuing.
7. Something kept from being expended or lost; that which is saved or laid up; as, the savings of years of economy.
8. With the exception of; except; excepting; also, without disrespect to.
providence, redemptive, obstetrical delivery, miserliness, preservation, conservation, thriftiness, parsimoniousness, thrift, delivery, scotch, rescue, provident, pitch, speech, prudence, prudent, parsimony, careful, chary, redeeming, frugal, manner of speaking, livery, legal transfer, thrifty, good, frugality, economical, sparing, bringing, canny, retaining, economy, deliverance, save, economic system
conserving (part of speech: verb)
defending (part of speech: verb)
defending, replying, buffering, supporting, countering, policing, averting, responding, barring, warding, answering, opposing, backfiring, barricading, sustaining, screening, fending, upholding, rebutting, returning, guarding, safeguarding, protecting, arguing, covering, counterattacking, securing, sheltering, retorting, resisting, shielding
conditional (part of speech: adjective)
economizing (part of speech: verb)
storing (part of speech: verb)
rescuing (part of speech: verb)
- 2 For his first marriage and towards setting up house, Tony succeeded in saving twenty shillings. - "A Poor Man's House", Stephen Sydney Reynolds.
- Thus a weak but brave girl was the means of saving strong men with their wives and children. - "Good Stories For Great Holidays Arranged for Story-Telling and Reading Aloud and for the Children's Own Reading", Frances Jenkins Olcott.
- Saving your life, lad! - "When London Burned", G. A. Henty.