Definition of scent:
- Specifically, the odor left by an animal on the ground in passing over it; as, dogs find or lose the scent; hence, course of pursuit; track of discovery.
- That which, issuing from a body, affects the olfactory organs of animals; odor; smell; as, the scent of an orange, or of a rose; the scent of musk.
- The power of smelling; the sense of smell; as, a hound of nice scent; to divert the scent.
- To have a smell.
- To hunt animals by means of the sense of smell.
- To imbue or fill with odor; to perfume.
- To perceive by the olfactory organs; to smell; as, to scent game, as a hound does.
spirit, myrrh, poke, sniff out, wind, feel, nuzzle, curve, fragrancy, tang, bag, horn in, bite, the color of someone's money, balm, capture, attar, olfactory perception, foretell, odourise, prediction, lift, spice, pry, predict, big game, odorize, olfactory modality, sweetness, wander, evidence, sign, nose, presentiment, smoking gun, olfactory property, meander, spoor, catch, flavour, roll, prophecy, clue, odor, twist, mark, odour, perfume, toilet water, smell/stink to high heaven, suggestion, exude, intrude, premonition, olfaction, aroma, illustration, wreathe, savor, bait, track, promise, wrap, proof, foresee, cologne, eau-de-cologne, demonstration, weave, wind up, stink up, forecast, hoist, smell, MARKS, olfactory, smelling, twine, look, pointer, angling, reek, sense of smell, fragrance, tone, rose water, olfactory sensation, savour, aromatize, palate, smell up, show, feeling, aromatise, precognition, thread, flavor, cast, taste, lead, sniff, blood sports.
- fragrance (part of speech: noun)
- odor (part of speech: noun)
- "One Maid's Mischief", George Manville Fenn.
- "The Dop Doctor", Clotilde Inez Mary Graves.
- "Naples Past and Present", Arthur H. Norway.