Definition of scowl:
- Hence, gloom; dark or threatening aspect.
- Hence, to look gloomy, dark, or threatening; to lower.
- The wrinkling of the brows or face in frowing; the expression of displeasure, sullenness, or discontent in the countenance; an angry frown.
- To express by a scowl; as, to scowl defiance.
- To look at or repel with a scowl or a frown.
- To wrinkle the brows, as in frowning or displeasure; to put on a frowning look; to look sour, sullen, severe, or angry.
- "Riders of the Silences", Max Brand.
- "Guy Garrick", Arthur B. Reeve.
- "Boy Scouts in Mexico; or On Guard with Uncle Sam", G. Harvey Ralphson.