Definition of scrabble:
- The act of scrabbling; a moving upon the hands and knees; a scramble; also, a scribble.
- To make irregular, crooked, or unmeaning marks; to scribble; to scrawl.
- To mark with irregular lines or letters; to scribble; as, to scrabble paper.
- To scrape, paw, or scratch with the hands; to proceed by clawing with the hands and feet; to scramble; as, to scrabble up a cliff or a tree.
- "Anthony Lyveden", Dornford Yates.
- "Children of the Tenements", Jacob A. Riis.
He thought: So the lackeys took money and let the tradesmen wander about the corridors if they did not get any, kept the goods back, that the tradesmen might get blamed, and did not open the folding- doors, so that the suitor had to scrabble.- "Royal Highness", Thomas Mann.