Definition of scribe:
- A writer and doctor of the law; one skilled in the law and traditions; one who read and explained the law to the people.
- One who writes; a draughtsman; a writer for another; especially, an offical or public writer; an amanuensis or secretary; a notary; a copyist.
- To cut ( anything) in such a way as to fit closely to a somewhat irregular surface, as a baseboard to a floor which is out of level, a board to the curves of a molding, or the like; -- so called because the workman marks, or scribe, with the compasses the line that he afterwards cuts.
- To make a mark.
- To score or mark with compasses or a scribing iron.
- To write, engrave, or mark upon; to inscribe.
scriber, correspondent, reporter, copyist, transcriber, write, engross, penman, augustin eugene scribe, editor, remember, scratch awl, scrivener, scrawler, scribbler, indite, writer, inscribe, author, secretary.
- "Child's Story of the Bible", Mary A. Lathbury.
- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- "Education: How Old The New", James J. Walsh.