Definition of scripture :
1. A passage from the Bible;; a text.
2. Anything written; a writing; a document; an inscription.
3. The books of the Old and the new Testament, or of either of them; the Bible; - used by way of eminence or distinction, and chiefly in the plural.
volume, word of honor, Holy Writ, book of account, agriculture, parole, rule book, biblical, word, ancient history, account book, iconography, the Holy Bible, incense, the New Testament, the Good Book, leger, Epistle, discussion, news, intelligence, mandala, ledger, joss stick, watchword, tidings, password, aesthetics, Holy Scripture, frankincense, OT, acoustics, playscript, archeology, burnt offering, god, al-Qur'an, record book, halo, idol, aureole, countersign, book, Word of God, script, the Old Testament, architecture, anthropology, the Bible, gospel, sacred scripture, record, agronomy, Good Book, applied linguistics, give-and-take, bible, archaeology
truth (part of speech: noun)
writing (part of speech: noun)
- Works are, in scripture, called fruits. - "Twenty-Four Short Sermons On The Doctrine Of Universal Salvation", John Bovee Dods.
- Don't quote Scripture here, sir, especially in that gross literal way! - "The Saint's Tragedy", Charles Kingsley.
- So strange is the scripture of the sky! - "Pagan & Christian Creeds Their Origin and Meaning", Edward Carpenter.