Definition of scruple:
- A weight of twenty grains; the third part of a dram.
- Hence, a very small quantity; a particle.
- Hesitation as to action from the difficulty of determining what is right or expedient; unwillingness, doubt, or hesitation proceeding from motives of conscience.
- To be reluctant or to hesitate, as regards an action, on account of considerations of conscience or expedience.
- To excite scruples in; to cause to scruple.
- To regard with suspicion; to hesitate at; to question.
uncertainty, distrust, whit, incredulity, suspense, question, misgiving, molecule, apprehension, iota, study at qualm, speck, modicum, dash, unbelief, bit, uneasiness, crumb, skepticism, mite, dot, squeamishness, queasiness, certain, big, trifle, perplexity, smidgen, ort, tittle, hesitancy, dram, qualm, particle, scrap, drop, spot, hesitation, dab, disbelief, grain, doubt, mistrust, minim, ounce, compunction, irresolution, fragment, suspicion, shred, reservation, indecision, jot.
- "April Hopes", William Dean Howells Last Updated: February 27, 2009.
- "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- "Henry-VIII", Shakespeare, William.