Definition of scrupulous:
- Careful; cautious; exact; nice; as, scrupulous abstinence from labor; scrupulous performance of duties.
- Full ofscrupules; inclined to scruple; nicely doubtful; hesitating to determine or to act, from a fear of offending or of doing wrong.
- Given to making objections; captious.
- Liable to be doubted; doubtful; nice.
fastidious (part of speech: adjective)
- vigilant (part of speech: adjective)
But even those who professed to like him best, and to be the least scrupulous with regard to public virtue, still spoke with a sort of facetious contempt of Sir Ulick, as a thorough- going friend of the powers that be- as a hack of administration- as a man who knew well enough what he was about.- "Tales & Novels, Vol. IX [Contents: Harrington; Thoughts on Bores; Ormond]", Maria Edgeworth.
My father had an old- fashioned feeling about the Fourth Commandment, which made him scrupulous as to using any animal on Sunday; and even when, in bad weather, or for visitors, the larger carriage was used, he always walked.- "Chantry House", Charlotte M. Yonge.
- "The Parent's Assistant", Maria Edgeworth.