Definition of scrupulous :
1. Careful; cautious; exact; nice; as, scrupulous abstinence from labor; scrupulous performance of duties.
2. Full ofscrupules; inclined to scruple; nicely doubtful; hesitating to determine or to act, from a fear of offending or of doing wrong.
3. Given to making objections; captious.
4. Liable to be doubted; doubtful; nice.
fastidious (part of speech: adjective)
Epicurean, perspicacious, demanding, delicate, particular, careful, fussy, diligent, flawless, methodical, qualmish, picky, proper, discriminating, finicky, exacting, prudish, discerning, rigorous, prim, persnickety, squeamish, dainty, critical, correct, precise, mincing, conscientious, severe, fastidious, accurate, priggish, hypercritical, meticulous, literal, punctilious, choosy
vigilant (part of speech: adjective)
- But even those who professed to like him best, and to be the least scrupulous with regard to public virtue, still spoke with a sort of facetious contempt of Sir Ulick, as a thorough- going friend of the powers that be- as a hack of administration- as a man who knew well enough what he was about. - "Tales & Novels, Vol. IX [Contents: Harrington; Thoughts on Bores; Ormond]", Maria Edgeworth.
- My father had an old- fashioned feeling about the Fourth Commandment, which made him scrupulous as to using any animal on Sunday; and even when, in bad weather, or for visitors, the larger carriage was used, he always walked. - "Chantry House", Charlotte M. Yonge.
- He hoped to secure the approbation of his mistress by scrupulous obedience to all her commands, and faithful care of all that belonged to her. - "The Parent's Assistant", Maria Edgeworth.