Definition of sea:
- A great brazen laver in the temple at Jerusalem; - so called from its size.
- An inland body of water, esp. if large or if salt or brackish; as, the Caspian Sea; the of Aral; sometimes, a small fresh- water lake; as, the of Galilee.
- Fig.: Anything resembling the sea in vastness; as, a sea of glory.
- One of the larger bodies of salt water, less than an ocean, found on the earth's surface; a body of salt water of second rank, generally forming part of, or connecting with, an ocean or a larger sea; as, the Mediterranean Sea; the Sea of Marmora; the North Sea; the Carribean Sea.
- The ocean; the whole body of the salt water which covers a large part of the globe.
- The swell of the ocean or other body of water in a high wind; motion of the water's surface; also, a single wave; a billow; as, there was a high sea after the storm; the vessel shipped a sea.
Azov, Norwegian, Barents, seagoing, Black, Red, Irish, South China, White, Okhotsk, Coral, Arabian, Mediterranean, subocean, overseas, suboceanic, Philippine, Dead, Ionian, Japan, Java, Timor, oversea, Caspian, Baltic, Aegean, North, oceanic, deep-sea, oceangoing, Celebes, offshore, Yellow, Tasman, Tyrrhenian, East China, Adriatic, Caribbean, seafaring, Sulu, shipboard.