Definition of secretary:
- A piece of furniture, with conveniences for writing and for the arrangement of papers; an escritoire.
- An officer of state whose business is to superintend and manage the affairs of a particular department of government, and who is usually a member of the cabinet or advisory council of the chief executive; as, the secretary of state, who conducts the correspondence and attends to the relations of a government with foreign courts; the secretary of the treasury, who manages the department of finance; the secretary of war, etc.
- One who keeps, or is intrusted with, secrets.
- The secretary bird.
secretaire, manager, depositary, correspondent, recorder, superintendent, repository, director, stenographer, depository, secretarial assistant, clerk, scribe, escritoire, copyist, typist, monument, deposit, writing table.
- "Diary of Samuel Pepys, Complete Transcribed From The Shorthand Manuscript In The Pepysian Library Magdalene College Cambridge By The Rev. Mynors Bright", Samuel Pepys Commentator: Lord Braybrooke.
- "The Landleaguers", Anthony Trollope.
- "Delia Blanchflower", Mrs. Humphry Ward.