Definition of section:
- A distinct part of a country or people, community, class, or the like; a part of a territory separated by geographical lines, or of a people considered as distinct.
- A distinct part or portion of a book or writing; a subdivision of a chapter; the division of a law or other writing; a paragraph; an article; hence, the character , often used to denote such a division.
- A division of a genus; a group of species separated by some distinction from others of the same genus; - often indicated by the sign .
- A part of a musical period, composed of one or more phrases. See Phrase.
- A part separated from something; a division; a portion; a slice.
- One of the portions, of one square mile each, into which the public lands of the United States are divided; one thirty- sixth part of a township. These sections are subdivided into quarter sections for sale under the homestead and preemption laws.
- The act of cutting, or separation by cutting; as, the section of bodies.
- The description or representation of anything as it would appear if cut through by any intersecting plane; depiction of what is beyond a plane passing through, or supposed to pass through, an object, as a building, a machine, a succession of strata; profile.
- The figure made up of all the points common to a superficies and a solid which meet, or to two superficies which meet, or to two lines which meet. In the first case the section is a superficies, in the second a line, and in the third a point.
partition, segment, contribution, persona, assemble, character, separate, function, scratch, sectionalisation, passage, partitioning, air division, locality, theatrical role, instalment, department, component part, class, segmentation, discussion section, incision, branch, variance, subdivision, subsection, parting, cut, dent, voice, plane section, role, atom, prick, share, surgical incision, naval division, slit, division, divide, office, dissever, particle, arm, part, sectionalization, break up.
- area (part of speech: noun)
- fraction (part of speech: noun)
- component (part of speech: noun)
- "The Works of the Right Honourable Edmund Burke, Vol. I. (of 12)", Edmund Burke.
- "'Firebrand' Trevison", Charles Alden Seltzer.
- "The-Circus-Boys-on-the-Flying-Rings-or-Making-the-Start-in-the-Sawdust-Life", Darlington, Edgar B. P..