Definition of seniority:
- influence (part of speech: noun)
authority (part of speech: noun)
- precedence (part of speech: noun)
- superiority (part of speech: noun)
- title (part of speech: noun)
Up, and to the office, and before the office did speak with my Lord Brouncker, and there did get his ready assent to T. Hater's having of Mr. Turner's place, and so Sir J. Minnes's also: but when we come to sit down at the Board, comes to us Mr. Wren this day to town, and tells me that James Southern do petition the Duke of York for the Storekeeper's place of Deptford, which did trouble me much, and also the Board, though, upon discourse, after he was gone, we did resolve to move hard for our Clerks, and that places of preferment may go according to seniority and merit.- "Diary of Samuel Pepys, Complete Transcribed From The Shorthand Manuscript In The Pepysian Library Magdalene College Cambridge By The Rev. Mynors Bright", Samuel Pepys Commentator: Lord Braybrooke.
- "Hinduism and Buddhism, Vol I. (of 3) An Historical Sketch", Charles Eliot.
- "More Bywords", Charlotte M. Yonge.