Definition of sensualism :
1. The condition or character of one who is sensual; subjection to sensual feelings and appetite; sensuality.
2. The doctrine that all our ideas, or the operations of the understanding, not only originate in sensation, but are transformed sensations, copies or relics of sensations; sensationalism; sensism.
3. The regarding of the gratification of the senses as the highest good.
- They would have grown upwards into higher ideas of life, not downwards into sensualism and mere worldliness, like the many. - "The Allen House or Twenty Years Ago and Now", T. S. Arthur.
- In this again it interprets the aesthetic sensualism of the French race, which seeks pleasure in art, and does not willingly admit ugliness, even when it seems to be justified by the needs of the drama and of truth. - "Musicians of To-Day", Romain Rolland Commentator: Claude Landi.
- Nowhere was there a token of vulgar sensualism; the actress, the ballet- nymph had no place among these chosen gems of art. - "Denzil Quarrier", George Gissing.