Definition of sermon:
- A discourse or address; a talk; a writing; as, the sermons of Chaucer.
- Hence, a serious address; a lecture on one's conduct or duty; an exhortation or reproof; a homily; - often in a depreciatory sense.
- Specifically, a discourse delivered in public, usually by a clergyman, for the purpose of religious instruction and grounded on some text or passage of Scripture.
- To discourse to or of, as in a sermon.
- To speak; to discourse; to compose or deliver a sermon.
- To tutor; to lecture.
exhortation, discussion, study at speech, speaking, speech, catechism, baptise, vote of thanks, celebrate, address, preaching, dissertation, oratory, call down, homily, the Book of Common Prayer, language, monologue, baptize, disquisition, presentation, harangue, anthem, talk, discourse, doctrine, lecture, treatment, benediction, utterance, amen, oration, public speaking, baptism, the Pledge of Allegiance, lesson.
- "The Upton Letters", Arthur Christopher Benson.
- "Miss Mapp", Edward Frederic Benson.
- "Thirty Years in the Itinerancy", Wesson Gage Miller.