Definition of serpent:
- A bass wind instrument, of a loud and coarse tone, formerly much used in military bands, and sometimes introduced into the orchestra; - so called from its form.
- A species of firework having a serpentine motion as it passess through the air or along the ground.
- Any reptile of the order Ophidia; a snake, especially a large snake. See Illust. under Ophidia.
- Fig.: A subtle, treacherous, malicious person.
- The constellation Serpens.
- To wind like a serpent; to crook about; to meander.
- To wind; to encircle.
- "The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson - Swanston Edition Vol. 24 (of 25)", Robert Louis Stevenson Other: Andrew Lang.
- "Lafcadio Hearn", Nina H. Kennard.
- "The Book of Nature Myths", Florence Holbrook.