Definition of service :
1. A name given to several trees and shrubs of the genus Pyrus, as Pyrus domestica and P. torminalis of Europe, the various species of mountain ash or rowan tree, and the American shad bush ( see Shad bush, under Shad). They have clusters of small, edible, applelike berries.
2. Act of serving or covering. See Serve, v. t., 13.
3. Alt. of Service
4. Duty performed in, or appropriate to, any office or charge; official function; hence, specifically, military or naval duty; performance of the duties of a soldier.
5. Hence, a musical composition for use in churches.
6. Office of devotion; official religious duty performed; religious rites appropriate to any event or ceremonial; as, a burial service.
7. Profession of respect; acknowledgment of duty owed.
8. The act and manner of bringing food to the persons who eat it; order of dishes at table; also, a set or number of vessels ordinarily used at table; as, the service was tardy and awkward; a service of plate or glass.
9. The act of bringing to notice, either actually or constructively, in such manner as is prescribed by law; as, the service of a subpna or an attachment.
10. The act of serving the ball.
11. The deed of one who serves; labor performed for another; duty done or required; office.
12. The materials used for serving a rope, etc., as spun yarn, small lines, etc.
13. Useful office; advantage conferred; that which promotes interest or happiness; benefit; avail.
public transportation, staff, accredited, darn, fix up, meals on wheels, incur, branch, bowl, virtue, garrison, air force, freight, renewal, be back in business, servicing, comfortable, bar, inspection, the civil service, setting, incentive, worship, full employment, army, customs, hand, beleaguered, check, full board, double as, default, health service, heal, liquidation, pottery, community care, receipts, volunteer, proceeds, anticompetitive, do up, airborne, wait on, clear, expediency, award, in someone's employ, cover for, armed service, renovation, bust, improvement, delegation, cross, public transport, flatware, trump card, portion, profit, ready, be your own boss, value, aggressor, bombed-out, board, fort, creamer, liquidate, big, bed and breakfast, suffice, arrivals, attend to, incumbent, booth, generalship, search, collection agency, active service, background, block grant, housing, duty, order up, refit, ball, Corp., council, cavernous, business-to-business, anxious to help, asset, eggcup, circumcision, room and board, willing, call, all-night, fill someone's shoes, coffeepot, black out, the artillery, maintenance, running repair, consecrate, grace, emolument, the Coast Guard, return, dish out, used, authenticator, air cover, communication, in harness, hospitality tray, acquittal, cooperation, backhand, beachfront, serve, survey, command, do-it-yourself, directorate, merit, analysis, BYO, contemplation, cruet, robert william service, blessing, chip, bookseller, assistant, helper, privilege, blackout, belligerent, detail, conveyance, maintain, catch, kindness, serving, appointment, amortize, assist, do, helpful, martial, brown-bag, billet, in the line of duty, bring in a verdict, process, air power, battle cry, forgive, compound, indulgence, obedient, corner, examination, redevelopment, inspection and repair, brokerage, clearinghouse, baronial, concessionaire, division of labor, favor, carafe, brisk, eldercare, ceremonial, overhaul, the armed forces, all-you-can-eat, automaker, work, scrutiny, a good/bad turn, bureau, C in C, edge, set, administration, dish, brick-and-mortar, dish up, collaborate, good turn, military, caterer, review, fatigues, buddy system, departure, due diligence, working, helping, burned-out, housekeeping, returns, circumcise, dive, heel, office, silver, cellar, anoint, collaboration, breadbasket, fix, constructor, answer, acquit, military service, mass transit, dribble, gravy boat, carbuncle, good, china, bill of fare, attend, serve up, hold down, citation, brownstone, case work, sermon, call for, repair, divine service, consultancy, base, mend, bless, colonial, serve well, charge, hotel, patch, religious service, swear out, dog tag, annul, cavalry, confession, usefulness, bill, health care, appointed, carpeted, contribution, link, blast, take in, celebrant, bus, delivery, gain, active duty, minibar, discharge, table service, advantage, caring profession, stint, ready to serve, supporter, room service, collective, service of process, bloated
application (part of speech: noun)
aid (part of speech: noun)
business (part of speech: noun)
enterprise, commerce, concern, company, selling, management, profession, commission, holding, establishment, industry, retailing, vocation, situation, position, corporation, job, career, station, occupation, exchange, partnership, business, posting, livelihood, interest, consortium, assignment, barter, labor, calling, activity, trade, busy work, transaction, proprietorship, practice, negotiation, firm, merchant, venture, employment, specialty, affair, market
rite (part of speech: noun)
ceremony, evensong, Eucharist, missal, christening, canon, liturgy, wedlock, nones, mass, observance, transubstantiation, convocation, marriage, communion, holiday, sacrament, matrimony, ritual, confirmation, revival, baptism, novena, rite, Siddur, vesper, solemnization, celebration, remembrance, sacrifice, initiation, last rites
subordination (part of speech: noun)
- I shall be quite at your service, then; but there are two things that must be done first. - "Lover or Friend", Rosa Nouchette Carey.
- This boy had been brought up to expect service. - "From One Generation to Another", Henry Seton Merriman.
- It has been a question of life and service. - "Edward Caldwell Moore Outline of the History of Christian Thought Since Kant", Edward Moore.