Definition of settlement:
- A colony newly established; a place or region newly settled; as, settlement in the West.
- A disposition of property for the benefit of some person or persons, usually through the medium of trustees, and for the benefit of a wife, children, or other relatives; jointure granted to a wife, or the act of granting it.
- A settled place of abode; residence; a right growing out of residence; legal residence or establishment of a person in a particular parish or town, which entitles him to maintenance if a pauper, and subjects the parish or town to his support.
- Bestowal, or giving possession, under legal sanction; the act of giving or conferring anything in a formal and permanent manner.
- Establishment in life, in business, condition, etc.; ordination or installation as pastor.
- Fractures or dislocations caused by settlement.
- Matter that subsides; settlings; sediment; lees; dregs.
- That which is bestowed formally and permanently; the sum secured to a person; especially, a jointure made to a woman at her marriage; also, in the United States, a sum of money or other property formerly granted to a pastor in additional to his salary.
- That which settles, or is settled, established, or fixed.
- The act of peopling, or state of being peopled; act of planting, as a colony; colonization; occupation by settlers; as, the settlement of a new country.
- The act of setting, or the state of being settled.
- The act or process of adjusting or determining; composure of doubts or differences; pacification; liquidation of accounts; arrangement; adjustment; as, settlement of a controversy, of accounts, etc.
- The gradual sinking of a building, whether by the yielding of the ground under the foundation, or by the compression of the joints or the material.
hamlet, dependency, firmness, extermination, medium, solvent, agree, elimination, resolve, law of closure, resolving, give-and-take, village, colonisation, plantation, gag law, result, declaration, colony, pay, occlusion, establishment, closing, principality, solution, resolving power, firmness of purpose, blockage, closedown, shutdown, cloture, answer, liquidation, closure, resolution, composition, town, stoppage, resoluteness, stop, small town, gag rule, colonization, block, solving.
- agreement (part of speech: noun)
- payment (part of speech: noun)
- restitution (part of speech: noun)
- compromise (part of speech: noun)
- "The Desert Valley", Jackson Gregory.
- "The Woman in Black", Edmund Clerihew Bentley.
- "Grace Harlowe's Golden Summer", Jessie Graham Flower.