Definition of shake:
- A fissure in rock or earth.
- A fissure or crack in timber, caused by its being dried too suddenly.
- A rapid alternation of a principal tone with another represented on the next degree of the staff above or below it; a trill.
- A shook of staves and headings.
- Fig.: To move from firmness; to weaken the stability of; to cause to waver; to impair the resolution of.
- obs. p. p. of Shake.
- One of the staves of a hogshead or barrel taken apart.
- The act or result of shaking; a vacillating or wavering motion; a rapid motion one way and other; a trembling, quaking, or shivering; agitation.
- The redshank; - so called from the nodding of its head while on the ground.
- To be agitated with a waving or vibratory motion; to tremble; to shiver; to quake; to totter.
- To cause to move with quick or violent vibrations; to move rapidly one way and the other; to make to tremble or shiver; to agitate.
- To give a tremulous tone to; to trill; as, to shake a note in music.
- To move or remove by agitating; to throw off by a jolting or vibrating motion; to rid one's self of; - generally with an adverb, as off, out, etc.; as, to shake fruit down from a tree.
tremor, vibrate, clutch, chocolate, tingle, jerk, conjure up, vex, New York minute, roll, reorganize, bucketful, alarm, bolt, induce, perk up, heal, throw-off, grip, provoke, shivers, nurse, daunt, evade, keep hold of something, reel, contort, plump up, crack, make, grab, ruffle, turn on, break away, calm, convulse, handclasp, nanosecond, horrify, pathology, sex, shakes, fluff up, crisis, break out, wit, energize, grasp, rattle, repetition, recover, wink, break, dither, aetiology, rid, stir up, fluctuate, move, wobble, mute, totter, discompose, have, rouse, shake off, thrill, dessertspoon, budge, cider, moment, make a break (for something), cause, twinkling, invoke, nerves, wave, minute, modulate, flap, scare, throw away, fight, drop, chill, basket, fight off, keep, bump around, club soda, reduce, release, intimidate, evoke, conjure, panic, disencumber, joggle, oscillation, cappuccino, buttermilk, hasten, put forward, escape, trice, flee, choke, handshake, terrify, discharge, flurry, bag, rise, call forth, willies, aetiology, rock, charge, lose, break for, screaming meemies, etiology, americano, milkshake, shift, fall, jounce, throw, press, perforation, subside, hallucination, frighten/scare the wits out of someone, heebie-jeebies, stimulate, boxful, relieve, split second, shrivel, bring up, milk shake, agitate, brandish, butterflies, elude, wind up, foment, dilute, beat, harden, hang on, cast off, bother, toss, lessen, oscillate, survive, raise up, flounder, trill, call down, brew, wiggle, respond, touch, contortion, jiggle, handshaking, bucket, wag, clear, dislocate, fear, complication, erode, push, excite, hold on, weaken, boatload, twitter, shake up, unburden, commove, whim-whams, disburden, shock, cast, moderate, revive, armful, cartload, temblor, persuade, fidget, fidgety, dismay, disembarrass, box, sway, movement, succuss, unsettle, pulsation, reorganise, vibration, frighten, eyeblink, bounce, slip, waggle, dehydration, appall, heartbeat, twinkle, fit, get, charge up, chip away, pull through, jiffy, toing and froing, carry, flash, lift, shiver, strengthen, stir, startle, brace, waver, energise, shingle, shed, disturb, raise, arouse, get away, seek, rush, cradle, chai, jimjams, campaign, flail, second, didder, jiff, make off with, convulsion, escape from, tremble, bitters, card, crusade, consternate, judder, frisson, displace, swing, angostura, distract, flutter, hold tight.