Definition of sham :
1. A false front, or removable ornamental covering.
2. False; counterfeit; pretended; feigned; unreal; as, a sham fight.
3. That which deceives expectation; any trick, fraud, or device that deludes and disappoint; a make- believe; delusion; imposture, humbug.
4. To assume the manner and character of; to imitate; to ape; to feign.
5. To make false pretenses; to deceive; to feign; to impose.
6. To obtrude by fraud or imposition.
7. To trick; to cheat; to deceive or delude with false pretenses.
make, touch, dupery, dissimulator, faux, take for granted, wear, pharisaism, postiche, usurp, hoax, suppositious, phoney, humbug, false hair, hairpiece, guess, imposter, sanctimony, fake, dissemblance, formalism, simulated, acting, take up, false, don, presume, imitate, histrion, spurious, impostor, off-key, affectation, act, actor, true, skulker, forgery, venture, bogus, assumed, get into, dissembler, dissimulation, disguise, involve, arrogate, imitative, thespian, dissemble, player, bear, show, strike, lying, fictitious, seize, bear on, delusive, sanctimoniousness, cloak, study at false, malingerer, fraudulence, mistaken, honest, make believe, untrue, supposititious, pretended, farce, move, profess, assume, pseud, faker, fictional, mock, pretend, hazard, model, respect, accept, take, same, fictive, regard, fabricated, simulate, impress, mask, pretender, take on, touch on, fraudulent, sour, fraud, adopt, masquerade, put on, role player, acquire, affect, pietism, fancied, phony, impact, bear upon, hypocrisy, hypocrite, shammer, juke, take over, cant, feign
imitation (part of speech: noun)
copy, counterfeit, pseudo, emulation, echo, impersonation, carbon, mirror, mockery, representation, travesty, parallel, duplication, replication, parody, imitation, simulation, duplicate, portrayal, reflection, reproduction, resemblance, spoof, pretense, burlesque, mimicry, caricature
- It is curious to notice how often this sham sentiment for others is merely a matter of nerves. - "As a Matter of Course", Annie Payson Call.
- I am not the sort of fellow to get anything sham. - "Ayala's Angel", Anthony Trollope.
- Unless our attitude in these and all similar matters is to be a mere boastful sham we can not afford to abandon our naval programme. - "Complete State of the Union Addresses from 1790 to the Present", Various.