Definition of sharpen:
- To give a keen edge or fine point to; to make sharper; as, to sharpen an ax, or the teeth of a saw.
- To grow or become sharp.
- To make biting, sarcastic, or severe.
- To make more eager; as, to sharpen men's desires.
- To make more pungent and intense; as, to sharpen a pain or disease.
- To make more tart or acid; to make sour; as, the rays of the sun sharpen vinegar.
- To make sharp.
- To raise, as a sound, by means of a sharp; to apply a sharp to.
- To render more quick or acute in perception; to make more ready or ingenious.
- To render more shrill or piercing.
place, whet, channelize, strengthen, grind, rivet, manoeuver, correct, reinforce, chisel, rise, concentre, indicate, guide, chip away, strop, flail, enrich, pore, card, focalize, chop, concentrate, stone, bespeak, compound, stiffen, point, toughen, enhance, maneuver, harden, designate, sharp, improve, focus, repoint, level, channelise, acuminate, centre, obscure, cloud, chase, confuse, file, revitalize, head, drill, focalise, orient, bolster, signal, invigorate, raise, direct, luff, taper, center, optimization, localise, flatten, betoken, lift, charge, concenter, aim, steer, crimp, localize, cut, show, target, thicken, remedy, boost, improve on, clarify, manoeuvre.
- "Rollo's Experiments", Jacob Abbott.
Sharpen your pencil and bind up your cut finger and subtract the number you first thought of, and the result will show the number of Presidents of the United States who have been assassinated while in office.- "Love Conquers All", Robert C. Benchley.
- "The Mystery of the Green Ray", William Le Queux.